PHP is acronym of Hypertext Preprocessor (PHP) is a programming language that allows web developers to create dynamic content that interacts with databases.PHP is basically used for developing web based software applications.
PHP started out as a small open source project that evolved as more and more people found out how useful it was. Rasmus Lerdorf unleashed the first version of PHP way back in 1994.
Example #1 An introductory example
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
echo "Hi, I'm a PHP script!";
Uses of PHP
PHP has now become a poupular scripting language among web developer due to the following reasons −
- PHP performs system functions, i.e. from files on a system it can create, open, read, write, and close them.
- PHP can handle forms, i.e. gather data from files, save data to a file, through email you can send data, return data to the user.
- You add, delete, modify elements within your database through PHP.
- Access cookies variables and set cookies.
- Using PHP, you can restrict users to access some pages of your website.
- It can encrypt data.
Five important characteristics make PHP’s practical nature possible −